Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Souper Dip

I promised Drew that I'd post this recipe. It's a tasty hot dip recipe that my friend Joanna gave me many years ago. It makes a lot, so if you are preparing for a small group, you might want to half this recipe. When I make it I use small crocks (like onion soup is served in) to bake it in, but it can be baked in any casserole (or 2). Allow room at the top of the dish for expansion during baking, so that it doesn't overflow.

Preheat oven to 350.

2 pounds of bulk sausage (original Bob Evans works well)
2 pounds of Velveeta (cut into cubes)
1 package of dry onion soup
8 ounces of cream cheese
1/2 cup of white wine (optional)
1 medium can of chopped tomatoes
1 pinch of oregano
1 pinch of chili powder

Brown sausage in a large frying pan, over medium heat, until cooked and crumbled. Drain fat from the pan. Lower heat and add cubed Velveeta to the pan. As the cheese melts, stir in the remaining ingredients until all the cheese has melted and the mixture is well-combined. Spoon into 2 two quart casserole dishes (or 4-6 small crocks), lightly sprayed with Pam. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.

No comments: