Friday, August 31, 2007

Potato & Sour Cream Casserole

This is my Mom's recipe. It always tastes best when she fixes it, but it doesn't keep me from trying my hand at it. There are many variations of this potato dish (sometimes called 'funeral potatoes' for their prevalence at church suppers!), but this one is my favorite.

1 two pound package of frozen hash browns, thawed
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
3 Tablespoons of butter, cut up (optional)
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (average size; I use Campbell's)
1/3 cup of milk
1 pint of dairy sour cream
1/2 cup of chopped onions
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1 cup of crushed potato chips or corn flakes
3 Tablespoons of melted butter

In a large mixing bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Spread in a lightly sprayed 9" x 13" pan, or an oven-friendly large frying pan (like Calphalon brand). Sprinkle the crushed potato chips over the top and drizzle the melted butter over all. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour in a 350 degree oven. I cover it for the first 35 minutes of baking. This recipe goes well with the caramelized chicken recipe that will be posted next.

No comments: